Nice to get the latest 3D resin painting done: Sir Walter Raleigh in the 21st Century. I’ve changed a few of my painting strategies and techniques on this one. It was a lot to learn and experiment with: creating the mold and release for the resin, the different paints and brushes to the different colors of enamels. I’ve come to realize that the more details I place in…the bigger the piece should be! Painting with toothpicks was an good try…need to find a use for that. The most interesting part (about the process) was the complete removal of the canvass itself. No canvass in this one. It’s really thick too (about 2″ of resin) so it’s real heavy. I’d guess about 40lbs. I tried to have larger distances between color planes to have an increased “side to side” motion effect, which seems to work. There is a “painting season” for me. March was too cold to pour resin and the proper temperature should be above 78 degrees. April to October seem to be the right window. The piece actually rests one inch off the wall on 3 resin cast “blocks”. It’s been a success on all levels and I’m encouraged that this artwork “test” was a complete success!
Coming soon to an art gallery…near me 😉 and maybe in the future, to a wall in your home!